Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I'm 3.6x less poor

Since my 12 Ringgit lattes are actually almost 4 dollars and since I have turned down 30 Ringgit restaurants because I thought those 12 dollar plates were too expensive...I got my hair cut today.

Tomorrow is Malaysian Independence Eve and some people from production have invited me to join them. I think this means I will have friends and may not be so grouchy. Today became high school when I decided to eat with the cafeteria and not the restaurant away from everyone. First I was to eat with Hardy but I lost him and then found some other people from production and then ran into Maya from the office when she asked me to join her friends. I think they liked my interested in very bad movies. So I hope its fun.

My students aren’t so bad. It would be cool to hang out with them if I wasn’t grading them and possibly a factor in them being hired. Then it just seems uncomfortable. I really hope I’m not the one who decides that. I still haven’t graded them on anything. I figure I’ll let them go back and correct things on their time. Then hand it in the last week. And I’m still planning for them to have very very a short film. I think this will be good also for those who aren’t great draftsmen. I have shown them some Mary Blair inspired animation and UPA stuff. I also showed the Dot and the Line: a Love Story in Lower Mathematics. I’ve actually shown them a lot of animation that I don’t think they would see other wise. Did you know Jack Hanna directed Lambert the Sheepish Lion? Or that Muybridge murdered someone?

3 comments:

Bonnie Branson said...

aww I show my kids Dot and Line too!
My kids completed films...very short in 9 hours...I'm not sure how long your classes are, ours were only 3 hrs a day twice a week.

I think getting a short film done for them wouldn't be a problem

Christi said...

oh good. I love how i call my students kids too but they are all in their 20's. My classes are from 9am to 6pm Monday - Friday. I guess they shouldn't have a problem. I wanted to show them Bambi today but I forgot the keys to the dvds :(

Bonnie Branson said...

Well they make storyboards and do brainstorming ex's first. I showed my kids the "Story" clip from the Increadibles and before hand explained that it demonstrates at least 3 steps in the animation/story process:
Script
Storyboard/pitch
and then animatic - though I told them that we won't be making animatics, it just explains how they better get timing down.

Then they made storyboards, we divided into groups and they pitched!
Then they used their boards to make their films.

This also help catch the students who were being ridiculous with details or maybe in danger in the usual, "and then it EXPLODED," device. Or if it seems like it is too long...