Saturday, September 15, 2007

Tunku and other stuff

I think I get used to luxury very fast and don't even know it's luxury. Take my condo with the pool that I am always complaining about...or how I live in a very desired neighborhood and yet I think of it like New Jersey. Right now I'm at the Friendster cafe eating pasta with lobster, chicken and other things while drinking a mocha and perrier. In my defense it's 6pm and this is the first time I have eaten today.

A friend from work invited me to see a musical about the history of Malaysia called Tunku. It was really cool. I wish I would have thought to buy a cd. We went with her family and girlfriend. I am about the most dense person ever for not being able to pick that up before. So here I am wondering where all the gay people are and well they are at the theatre.

In the musical everyone wears black/white or grey. I think to make us feel like we are watching tv in the 60's. The stage had 3 screens. Parts of the performance were projected over things like newspaper Headlines and signatures. All in black and white. The racial conflict within Malaysia and the secession of Singapore was very interesting and of course the Chinese mistress too. So I guess I am learning something. Then at the end everyone comes out for a bow wearing very colorful clothing. It reminded me of the end of RENT. And there were some very cute boys in tight clothing and I thought of Jose and Seth and Brian too. I think they would have enjoyed that. I liked the play but here's a fun bad review. Because bad reviews are more fun to read.

Oh I also found out that some students have a hard time with my English. I feel so bad. No wonder they are painting rainbows and making reflections. They say I speak too fast. I bet if I spoke proper English they would understand me better. So I will desperately try that. As far as assignments I haven't been on their case in last few weeks. I felt I was giving them space. Room to fly. But seeing that they have 2 weeks left and I have to grade their assignments. I'm going to run them like 9th grade girls volleyball. Run them until that want to quit. Sucks but I have to be a dick again. I think I will repeat that speech in on Monday.

No comments: