Friday, January 21, 2011

Collision Drawing for zipcar report

About a month ago I had a small collision on the Williamburg Bridge while driving to Brooklyn for a craigslist bed-frame.

Now, I don't have a lot money but the frame was an awesome deal and would be too expensive to buy new. What do I have that's new anyway? Looking around my studio for furniture bought brand-new, I can count 3 items: a trunk from the container store, a metal file cabinet from staples, and television set from circuit city in 1999. The rest of my furniture was purchased from craigslist, neighbors, left by roommates, or picked up from the street.

Now that I've justified renting a zipcar and buying a used bed-frame, the commute down to bridge was pretty easy. Once I exited the FRD onto Essex everything when to sh*t. No left turns onto Delancey during "rush hours" so I did the old drive-around-the-block turn. After fighting through the blood steam, Broom and Norfolk, I came back to the main artery, Delancey. A right turn in the outer lane put me in position to either go to "brooklyn/queens" or "staten island". When I was close enough to read the signs I realized I was going to "staten island." No one in the other lane so I switched fast right before the traffic cones... BOOM! I huge SUV hit my right side or I hit it? I quickly pulled off and braked, but still took out 5 or 6 cones.

We both came to a stop on the incline of the bridge. The guy jumped out of his SUV looking like Pussy from the Sopranos. Grey shirt, chain, big belly. He Started yelling before he came around his car. "WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY YOU CROSSED 3 LANES!!"
"It was only one lane."
"IT WAS 3 FUCKING LANES!"
"I switched into ONE lane."
I wasn't going to yell at this guy. He might have a gun. And I sure as hell wasn't going to step out on a bridge, but this guy didn't care. Plus, it was probably my fault, he was in my blind spot. Of course, he was definitely going faster than city wide speed limit of 30mph...

On the median/bike path there were two traffic cops. I yelled from my window to them, "HEY! YOU SAW IT RIGHT?? YOU SAW IT?" The both looked at me like they didn't want to get involved. What? Pussy started to come closer to my car. He must have seen the damage cus he back away real fast. He looked at his broken tail light and said "LOOKS LIKE MY CARS FINE!" Then jumped in and took off.

I looked back at the cops through the zoetrope of traffic, but they were busy. Once I got into Brooklyn I pulled off to see. My door opened slightly enough to squeeze out. It was as if the door was pushed forward so that the henge stuck on the car, but that wasn't right. The door looked fine. I slid in and continued toward for Bedford-Stuyvesant (which I thought was Stuyvesant Town on 14th street when I agreed to this adventure).

Before finding the right place, I parked in front of the wrong building on the wrong street and locked my keys in the car. I called Zipcar to remote control unlock it for me. They did. "Yeah, um also, I also had an small accident on the Williamsburg Bridge"
"Was anybody hurt?"
"No, no one was hurt and there doesn't seem to be much damage to the car, but the door doesn't open all the way. OH WOW! Um yeah there's a really big dent all on the right side above the wheel." It looked pretty bad. They said they would call back for a full report.

I found the place, got the stuff and came back into town. Dropped off the bed-frame with the help of a dude for coffee money and returned the car to the garage where I shot this photo:

Now, Zipcar has sent me an official report to complete. There is a section to draw the incident. Really? They let people draw what happened? That's awesome. So, here is my drawing of the incident:

Nelson, said it's better without the crazy dude. I don't think so but here:

No comments: