Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Burning more

I can't sleep. I had a terrible nightmare last night that someone was banging on my door at 4am. It sounded like a girl and she needed help. I was too scared to answer it. So I stayed in bed hoping she'd think no one was home. The AC was running. The banging got louder. Then everything began to feel like a dream. The room started to spin and shake. The sound of a subway train passed. Then I woke up. The curious thing was that the time on my clock was the same as in my dream, making it hard to tell what was real. Even though I suspected it was a nightmare I couldn't leave my bed. In the morning I checked outside the door. Nothing.

I told Jose the story. He suggested that it might be time to use the sage again. I did.

Tonight I decided to capture video from my DV camcorder. I asked Cynthea to printout a Bus ticket to Boston in exchange for a large file of her thesis film. Somehow along the way I got in a heated discussion about the mosque near the WTC. This lead me to wikipedia, google and gmaps. Hours later I was searching for the Facebook page, "I don't want a mosque built near ground zero" so I could give them a piece of my mind. However, only people who selected "like" were allowed to post comments. So I announced that I agreed only to troll their board with facts. Since the comment section only allows 100 characters or so at a time, the letter was a big mess. Here is it in paragraph form with little more spell check:

"'Ground Zero'(as non New Yorkers call it) is a sacred place for Muslims too. You are forgetting all the Muslim American victims who also died in the World Trade Center. Their families experienced the same fear and pain as any other victim’s family.

The vast majority of Muslims throughout the world are not terrorist and do not support terror. Terrorism has no religion. Remember Timothy McVeigh, the Unabomber- Ted Kaczynski, and the Weathermen Underground? If the 9/11 attackers were Christian extremists no one would petition against building a church near the site.

Some of you may say that Christian extremists (e.g., Fred Phelps’ church) are not true to Christianity. The Muslim community would say the 9/11 attackers and Muslim terrorists are not true to Islam.

Therefore, the mosque is not a “slap in the face” or a “stab in the eye.” It’s a place of worship just like the hundreds of other mosques in the NYC. Including the one 4 blocks from WTC that has been there for 30 years."


Now that it is light outside. I think I will get some sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said

Christi said...

Thank you :)