While rummaging through the internet pile we call Craig's List I've responded to several posts that offered small humble budgets. Some of the jobs I took. I know that CL is the place to ask for anything. However, I came across an ad tonight that set me off. Well here is my response.
Dear Sir or Madam,
It is industry standard to offer at least 1/3 of the budget up front in order get the project off the ground. You can not expect an animator to provide funds for your film. Most all talented, hard working animators have to repay Sallie Mae for their $100,000.00 education, not to mention bills and rent. Plus, money down proves that you aren't just some flake who will disappear after a month of work.
"VERY FLEXIBLE WITH TIME" is not alluring to NYC animators. They want to know that there is a real deadline so they can collect the last 3rd of their pay. The second 3rd is paid when the rough animation is complete or a process similar to that.
"The length of the animation is anywhere between 3-41/2 There are several characters in this animation." For the quality of animation (based on your youtube reference) and several characters, I would estimate a bare minimum of $2,000 per minute. Not to mention an additional cost of character design and storyboard.
Your ad had far too many requirements and no estimated budget. Instead you asked artists to bid on the assignment proving that either you haven't bothered to research or that you are looking for a real bargain. You get what you pay for. I should charge you a consultants fee for this, but I just wanted to let you know why I'm flagging your post.
Sincerely,
Christi
No comments:
Post a Comment