Friday, June 25, 2010

Asifa sketches and Hell's Kitchen




Here are a few sketches from last night's class.

After class I helped my friend take his luggage over to 10th Ave. in the Hell's Kitchen. I've always loved the empty seediness of that area. With the warehouses, gas stations, car lots and drivethru Mcdonalds. Most of all because its only a few long blocks from civilization. It's the sort of place where you don't want people to know you are wearing flip-flops. Harlem can make you think twice about footwear but unlike HK there are always people on the street. Even if some of them are crackheads there are usually enough people walking home or hanging out.

On the way back to timesquare station I found a bunch of instrument cases in a garbage pile. I'm very weary of taking stuff off the street these days...with the hole bedbug epidemic. The cases appeared to be thrown out by a woodwind shop. So they were probably replaced by newer ones and not trashed for pest reasons. I hope. One case was for an Alto Sax. My present case is beginning to break down. It's still usable but perhaps I can find another purpose for it now. The second case I took was a for a clarinet. I don't know anyone who needs a clarinet case and even if I wanted to pick it up someday, they usually come with their own case. So, I am thinking I will transform it into some type of drawing or animation thing since it's very sturdy but too small for copy size paper.

My air conditioner still only works on fan setting. I've tried to buy a cheap used on craigslist but no luck yet. Weather dot com says the temperature will be in the 80's with rain a few days. I hope that is true. Even though 85° in the city feels like 90° in Kansas, it's still livable. Even with the rain the humidity hasn't been too bad.

Tomorrow Morning I am racing in the Pride 5mile run.

No comments: