I gave myself a deadline to apply for the JF grant since it actually had no deadline. So, for the past 8 years I've began the process of writing a statement only to push it aside to do more "productive" things like look for work or do work once I've found work. Whenever I've had steady job my excuse was that I didn't have time to write proposals because I was going to save and produce films on my own.
Now, I haven't had a day job in over a year and although I get freelance gigs from time to time its never enough and definitely not enough to save for a film. So, then my depression sets in...which means less sleep followed by more sleep. Then an idea hits me which sets me on a manic race to finish a new project (or be at a good at place with it) even if it means losing a few nights sleep. This is my life. This week that race was applying to JF. After 36 hours of tweaking my proposal, storyboard and cover letter, I sent the package from at the James Farley Post Office on 34th street, because it was the last one open on Saturday night.
After which I walked down to union square to eat with Jose and friends. After which we all went to Beauty Bar (a bar that used to be beauty shop and kept the swivel chairs and manicures). After which, we walked to the westside and into the only open diner. The Hollywood diner, guaranteed to be packed at 5am by loose wrists and catty remarks, but the waiters are friendly. After which...we walked to the train while the sun came came up. Very Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Jose said, "Christi, you are having one of your God Days."
"My what?"
"Remember in SVA when you would stay up for a couple days at a time and called them your God Day?"
Yes, God Days was a term I coined for the my insomnia. You know, because my (our) days were twice as long as normal people. So I had a revelation one night, or day, that this ultra awake-ness was what it must be like when one is becoming a god. I'm sure I thought I was the first to feel like that too. It was also around the same time I was trying to make mead from vanilla extract and honey in order to become a goddess. I had no idea you could just buy the stuff, if I was old enough.
Wow, I was crazy. Then. Not now. No way. Really.
No comments:
Post a Comment